[Web4lib] FW: Drupal for library staff intranet?

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Mon May 19 11:00:33 EDT 2008

VanderHart, Robert wrote:

> 1) Would Drupal be "overkill" for our needs that I've expressed above,
> especially for an intranet used by 40 people?

No.  In fact, once you install the baby (and get used to it), you'll
probably see other ways of deploying it.

> 2) Would there be a huge need for me, as the admin, to be up to snuff on
> PHP to even consider deploying Drupal?

You don't need to know PHP.  Personally speaking, I pretty much approach
PHP as just another scripting language which I can kind of hack
together.  If at some point you reach that admittedly low-level of
skill, I think you'll find it helpful.

I do think that an important consideration is whether you have access to
a server that provides you with PHP & MySQL/Postgres.  Both are
requirements to get the CMS up and running.

> 3) Are there other software solutions you might suggest?  I know about
> FarCry, an open-source CF-based CMS; has anyone used that?

P.S. There's a list for Librarians interested in Drupal.  Just go to:
http://www.Drupal4lib.org.

Also, if you're going to ALA this year, we'll be having a Drupal BoF on
Sunday, June 29 sometime in the afternoon.  Read about it here:

http://groups.drupal.org/node/11317

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)