[Web4lib] Re: Picasa?(Andersen, Patricia M. (SDSM&T))

Nathaniel Wilson Nathaniel.Wilson at nl.edu
Thu May 8 11:48:50 EDT 2008

Hi Patty,

I use Picasa for work and for home.  Some of the advantages are the
ability for users to download entire albums.   Last time I looked Flickr
required you to save each photo individually.

The other big way I use it is to make smaller derivative jpg versions of
the tiff master images we make in our archive.  The Export function is
good for quickly making jpg versions in various resolutions, we use
these for our online digital collection through ContentDM.

The disadvantage is that people cant download entire albums and perform
other functions unless they have a gmail account.  If people don't want
to register for this service, that's a problem.

Hope this helps, Nat.

Nathaniel Wilson

Assistant to Archives and Special Collections

National Louis University Library

122 S. Michigan Ave

Chicago, IL 60603

312.261.3187