[Web4lib] What to call the links

Elizabeth Edwards brixton at gmail.com
Thu May 1 10:26:55 EDT 2008

All:

My survey of library website language is available here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p8kTawTxfuMk3AFyxwaEaXw

Thomas, I'd be interested in the results of your study as well.  The
resource that I referred to was this site, mentioned in an earlier
message:
Library Terms That Users Understand
John Kupersmith

http://www.jkup.net/terms.html

Elizabeth

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Leo Robert Klein <leo at leoklein.com> wrote:
> Elizabeth Edwards wrote:
>

> > In response, we did a language usability test with students and staff, and
> > found that in some instances, our branding ("consortium loan service"
> rather
> > than "borrow from other schools") was preferred - while in others,
> students
> > responded to the task-based terminology.  These results may be flawed,
> > however, because in at least some instances students appeared to be
> looking
> > for the terminology that was closest to the language currently in use on
> our
> > website.
> >

>  Wow, "consortium loan service" won out over "borrow from other schools"?
> I'd only pick the former if my name was "Consortium".
>
>  Was there any reason for this?
>
>  LEO

>  www.leoklein.com (site)
>  www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)
>
>  aim/msn/yhoo/goog: 'leorobertklein'

"Life meant convincing another that you knew what it meant to be
alive." - Richard Powers, Galatea 2.2