[Web4lib] RE: World of Warcraft in a Public Library?

Robin Hastings robin.hastings at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:35:59 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:47 PM, HAZEL Margaret E
<margaret.e.hazel at ci.eugene.or.us> wrote:
>  I'd also recommend trying a different game, although for slightly
>  different reasons.  My husband and I do actually play our WoW characters
>  on each other's PCs regularly, so it's not impossible, BUT you do have
>  to have signed up for your own (monthly fee) account at some point,
>  somewhere.  (Unless you're using a free trial account.)  And you can't
>  be logged into your account on two different PCs at once.
>
>  So you'd be mostly limiting users to those who can afford the monthly
>  fee, and have their own PC somewhere anyway, and you'd be limiting the
>  number of patrons who could use those PCs, as there are few quests or
>  raids that are an hour or less.
>
>  The best way that I've thought of to do WoW at the library is to have
>  special game nights, and have patrons bring in their own PCs to play
>  together, with a long block of time set aside to raid together.  Of
>  course, our City would not allow non-City PCs on their network, either.
>
>  Maybe start a guild in WoW, but don't actually provide access in the
>  library...?  Bookmark guild and WoW sites and discussion boards?  Host
>  strategy sessions?
>
>  -Margaret
>
>  Margaret E. Hazel
>  Principal Librarian, Technology
>  Eugene Public Library
>  Eugene, OR

Oh! I like the idea of a guild - that's awesome!! The other game that
I was trying to remember that was WoW-like, without the monthly fee,
is http://www.dungeonrunners.com/ (Dungeon Runners). I've heard that
it is very similar to WoW and is almost as good. That would be an
alternative for people who aren't ready and/or willing to fork out the
cash for a WoW account themselves.
--
Robin Hastings
robin.hastings at gmail.com