[Web4lib] Re: Drupal Hosting

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Thu Mar 27 18:46:58 EDT 2008

I don't think that anyone has a completely comprehensive view of the
6-700 systems currently in production. The Web CMS Report from CMS
Watch <http://www.cmswatch.com/CMS/Report/Vendors/> covers 42 systems,
including Drupal (along with Vignette and Documentum), and I think
that they do a good job of winnowing the field. I admit that I have
never heard of the 10 (mostly european) mid-tier products they cover.
If you can afford it -- $3,225 for the full version -- the report is a
great product. I had a chance to peruse it and chat with the editor at
the AIIM Conference in Boston earlier this month.

Our original LibrarySite product was a library-specific commercial
content management system that we created in-house. After we started
working with Drupal, we dropped our own product.

It is worth noting that in a few months Acquia will release a
commercially supported version of Drupal, with a similar model to
RedHat's commercially supported linux offerings. Acquila is a startup
formed by Dries Buytaert, Drupal's creator, to serve the commercial
market. My company will be an Acquia partner, although I expect that
most of our library customers will continue to use the community
version.

Cary Gordon, MLS
The Cherry Hill Company
http://www.chillco.com

I'm riding my bicycle 545 miles from June 1-7, 2008 to end AIDS.
Find out how you can help at http://www.aidslifecycle.org/5312
Please come to our Big Bike Bake Bash party and fundraiser
April 13th - http://judyandcary.com