[Web4lib] Is a new browser window always a no-no?

Araby Y Greene araby at unr.edu
Thu Mar 20 16:52:09 EDT 2008

In book lists with links to the library catalog, the user may want to
look at many items. I think that opening a reusable window that grabs
focus requires much less effort than going back and forth repeatedly.
Several months ago, when I made "new books" pages for our library, I
faced the same question. It was pretty obvious, after seeing it both
ways, that displaying the catalog records in a resizable window that
always reappears on top was the simplest for the user. In this
situation, it's better to keep the list available than follow the "rule"
and inconvenience the user. Our new books list is at
http://www.library.unr.edu/new/newbooks.aspx   Nevada has had a budget
crunch, so unfortunately, the new books list is pretty short at the
moment.

Araby

__________________________
Araby Greene