[Web4lib] suggestion box/blog

Paolo Mangiafico paolo.mangiafico at duke.edu
Fri Mar 7 13:47:48 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 4:06 PM, McHale, Nina <nina.mchale at cudenver.edu>
wrote:

 > Hey, all,
 >
 > I've beeen charged to create a "suggestion box/blog" by my admin folks.
 > Anybody doing anything cool along those lines? We already have a news
 > and events blog, and patrons often post comments to this. We also have a
 > somewhat rarely used (twice a month?) comments/feedback form.
 >
 > Nina

Duke Libraries has had an "Answer Person" for over 15 years that performs this
kind of service, and the Q&A was recently migrated into a blog:

	http://library.duke.edu/blogs/answerperson/

While it started out as a paper suggestion box (and still has a paper binder
in the library lobby where questions and answers appear, which are eventually
transcribed and put online), it has since evolved into a kind of fun
free-for-all with an anonymous answer person who gives serious answers to
serious questions and silly answers to silly questions. There aren't that many
library-specific suggestions any more, but over the years it's become a kind
of campus tradition as an all-knowing oracle, and every once in a while the
student paper does an article about it, and students try to figure out who
"answer person" is. It puts a fun, human face on the library.

We've got online archives of questions and answers that go back a decade, and
samplers from the paper book before that are also on the site. There's also an
  "about" page with links to some articles about the answer person and the
history of the site.

-- Paolo