[Web4lib] Using Smartcards for Access to Public Computers

Faust, Bradley D. bfaust at bsu.edu
Wed Jul 30 16:55:55 EDT 2008

Hello,

Our academic library is evaluating smartcard technology as a possible improvement for managing visitor access to public computers in our library.

We currently use Active Directory to authenticate university members and special accounts for guests/visitors to use.  Issuing the guest account credentials can take up to 4 minutes at a service point.   We average 3 guest passes an hour during our 120/hour week, which adds up.

Does anyone have comments on smartcard technology for computer access?

Bradley D. Faust, M.L.S.
University Libraries   ... a destination for research, learning, and friends
Assistant Dean for Library                 v:  765 285-8032
Information Technology Services        f:  765 285-1096
Ball State University                         e: bfaust at bsu.edu<mailto:bfaust at bsu.edu>
Muncie, IN  47306

The University Libraries provides services
that support student pursuits for academic
success and faculty endeavors for knowledge
creation and classroom instruction.
http://www.bsu.edu/library