[Web4lib] CUIL doesn't seem very COOL

John Goldsmith goldsmith at rainbow.fvrcs.gov.bc.ca
Tue Jul 29 11:24:57 EDT 2008

Hi Dan,

I share your sentiment.  I did a couple of simple searches as well, on
topics like "salmon", "AIDS", "Greece", etc.  and was underwhelmed
with the results.  For a search engine that claims to index twice the
number of pages as Google, the search results were not as good, IMHO.
In fact Google found more pages then CUIL on the same search terms,
despite CUIL's  fancy new indexing system.

While I have not spent that much time using it, I have a sense that
CUIL may be twice as big as Goolge because it indexes more business
and commercial related pages.

I was also disappointed that there is no "advanced search page" or
instructions on how to construct a search string.  Does CUIL allow "+"
and "-" characters? Does it allow boolean searches or searches limited
by language, etc. ? If this information is available on the CUIL site
then it's not in an obvious place.

Finally, I can't say as I like the way the search results are
displayed.  Perhaps it's just an "old dog - new tricks" thing. Even
though CUIL does display a little more information about each site
then Google, I just don't like the way the results are presented
across the page in a 2 or 3 column layout.  Now, if CUIL had really
wanted to kick it up a notch, they should have displayed their search
results in the same way as another new search engine - SearchMe (http://www.searchme.com
). Now that really is cool.

Cheers.

John Goldsmith