[Web4lib] Build the Open Shelves Classification

Alain D. M. G. Vaillancourt ndgmtlcd at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 17:57:25 EDT 2008

I used to think this was a good idea, and sure,  it might be in a place
were you can't count on the subject headings.  But if you have solid
sun<bject headings (or tags or whatever you might want to call them)
then you casn use them in any kind of rearrangement you wish to permit
this type of browsing.

You use the classification as a clear hierarchy or a clear structure
where all the linkages can be visible. If you play around with the
linkages as in a faceted clasification you lose the ability to
visualize things.  It's greast for people with good conceptual skills,
and awful for those (the majority of the population) who do things
better, anything better when they can see.

Alain Vaillancourt