[Web4lib] Re: Future of libraries

Bill Drew dreww at tc3.edu
Tue Jul 8 10:46:51 EDT 2008

The reasoning here is a bit circular.  If a public library was never
opened until 9 or later at night there would not be any statistics to
see.  How many public libraries have tried it and found it didn't work?
That is the important question.  Don't forget union contracts.  No union
worth its salt would negotiate having its members work until 9 at night
with out better compensation.  Such services add costs to already
limited budgets.

Bill Drew

Wilfred (Bill) Drew, M.S., B.S., A.S.
Assistant Professor
Librarian, Systems and Tech Services
Tompkins Cortland Community College  (TC3) Library:
http://www.tc3.edu/library/
Dryden, N.Y. 13053-0139
E-mail: dreww at tc3.edu
Phone: 607-844-8222 ext.4406
AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew4
Online Identity: http://claimID.com/billdrew
StrengthsQuest: Ideation, Input, Learner, Activator, Communication
http://www.facebook.com/people/Bill_Drew/

>>> "Brian Gray" <mindspiral at gmail.com> 7/8/2008 10:30 AM >>>
I am not sure that I would say tech savvy people only can use
libraries in the evening.

Also, most libraries I know that made cuts based it on in-house
statistics of usage and not on servicing the daytime crowd.

Brian Gray
mindspiral at gmail.com