[Web4lib] Open source support models

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Jul 16 15:50:35 EDT 2008

Wednesday, July 9, 2008, 11:53:24 AM, you wrote:

> I realize that this information is just now seeping out into the broader
> consciousness of LibraryLand and there is still a perception in some areas
> that "open source" means "tightrope with no nets." You certainly CAN
> download, install, and maintain OSS library software on your own, but you
> don't HAVE to. (There are even hosted models.)

I'm aware of these systems, and have no ax to grind for or against

1) "true open source"
2) "true commercial"
and
3) "contract supported open source".

What I've yet to hear, though, is a thorough analysis of the pros and
cons (economic, operational, and otherwise) of the three options.
Obviously you're paying for number 2, though most commercial systems
offer various levels of support.  And obviously you're paying in staff
and hardware, as a minimum, for option 1.  But how does it break out
with option 3?

Naturally there are more options for each, and for each size and kind
of library, but has anyone done some sort of a meta-analysis on the
whole issue?  And I would hope by someone who had no dog in the fight,
personally, or on behalf of his/her employer, whether library or
corporate?

dan

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID