[Web4lib] Reverse proxying for offsite (subscription) databases

Andrew Ashton aashton at skidmore.edu
Mon Jul 7 10:02:34 EDT 2008

There is an Ezproxy listserv (ezproxy at ls.suny.edu), which is fairly
active and chock full o' good advice for setting up proxy-via-hostname.
The only catch that I ran into was setting it up to run on port 80 on a
server where we already had Apache running a web site on port 80.  TO
make it work you need to give Ezproxy its own IP address, which gets a
little complicated.  The alternative, which we chose, was to run proxy
by hostname on port 2048.  You still have to deal with one nonstandard
port, but it is far preferable to having to support a separate port for
every host you proxy in proxy-by-port.

--
Andrew Ashton
Systems Librarian