[Web4lib] Media Hosting Options - Recommendations?

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Wed Jul 2 11:09:44 EDT 2008

You might want to consider Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service) <http://aws.amazon.com/s3
 > for your media. It is not free, but I think that there is no way
that you can host this in a high performance environment for anything
close to what they charge. There is even an inexpensive ($20) front
end called JungleDisk <http://www.jungledisk.com/> that you can use to
manage your files.

I think that many potential users are intimidated by the S3 pricing
model and have been put off by the perception that you need to be a
developer to use it. JungleDisk helps solve the latter, and a little
time doing projections will show that you can't really beat the price.

Don McAskill of the SmugMug photo hosting site estimated that he saved
about $25k/month over what he was paying for storage in a datacenter.
While most libraries aren't in the $70k/year storage costs range that
they had, the savings are bigger at lower levels.

Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company
http://www.chillco.com