[Web4lib] LibGig

Kelly Green bibliophile_kg at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 09:09:22 EDT 2008

It appears that they will make money off of organizations posting the jobs, many of whom do have money :)
In my personal experience Monster and other large, general job sites are not very helpful.  Often HR recruiters will post a mass of job openings without any information specific to the position. Monster et. al. do not rate themselves based upon the rate of success for hiring organizations to find appropriate candidates. They rate themselves on the quantity of jobs posted.  In these aspects, it will be interesting to see how a site like LibGig evolves. Personally, I have found more success via association website joblines. I have also had success using agreggators such as Indeed.com to locate an opening posted on an organization's own website.  I like Linked In as a follow up to the initial act of locating an interesting job opening. Linked In is great to contact potential decision makers and influencers within the hiring organization.
I have found fabulous advice and commentary about using web job searches via Ask The Headhunter. The headhunter specilizes in filling tech positions, so his advice tends to use those as examples. However, much of his advice applies to any job beyond the entry level.

In this article, Nick is discussing Career Builder. However, he provides links to other articles talking about large job boards.

~Kelly