[Web4lib] Library presence on social networking websites

Ms Norma Jean Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Sat Jan 26 16:11:01 EST 2008

This message is being posted to two lists. Aplogies for any
duplication.

In view of our recent discussions about Facebook and Myspace, I found
this article very interesting. It doesn't discuss libraries directly,
but it's general comments seem quite relevant for us.
Jean Hewlett
University of San Francisco

Youth Vs. Adults in Gadget Wars
By MARTHA IRVINE, AP National Writer
San Francisco Chronicle
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
f=/n/a/2008/01/22/national/a110139S14.DTL

Scott Seigal was awakened one recent early morning by a cell phone
text message. It was from his girlfriend's mother. His friends'
parents have posted greetings on his MySpace page for all the world to
see. And his 72-year-old grandmother sends him online instant messages
every day so they can better stay in touch while he's at college.

"It's nice that adults know SOME things," says Seigal, an 18-year-old
freshman at Binghamton University in New York....Increasingly,
however, he and other young people are feeling uncomfortable about
their elders encroaching on what many young adults and teens consider
their technological turf. [article continues]