[Web4lib] Demise of IT?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Jan 10 16:23:30 EST 2008

> Even if all IT appliances are a simple to use as a toaster, a
> campus would no more rid itself of IT (at some level) than it would of
> electricians.

I'm not so sure of that, either.  A branch campus of Boise State is
splitting off to be a Community College.  The CTO, with whom I used to
work, currently has bid documents out to contract out all IT services.
This may mean that a contractor will have an office on campus, but
will not be a college employee.

This has worked for many years at large companies, so it certainly
should for a college or university.  The local Hewlett Packard
facility, employing some 4K people at present, has contracted out all
of their IT support for many years, despite having a great many
technicians and engineers on staff.  They devote themselves to R&D
(they invented the LaserJet and the ColorLaserJet) while they let
contract employees do the day to day administration of desktops,
servers, and so forth.

dan

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID