[Web4lib] access and error logs

Sutherland, Michael msutherland at montana.edu
Fri Feb 29 18:12:16 EST 2008

Hello!

I was looking for information on typical procedure for holding onto
access and error logs for a web server and searched the web4lib archive.
According to those posts from April of 2000, it looked as though
respondents held onto those for quite some time (at least 5 years).  I'm
wondering if that is still common practice to archive these logs? What
is 'typical', if you will, practice for web server administrators to do
with those logs and is there any documentation for that practice? I'm
sure it's different for each library depending on your record management
protocols, but I'm curious about common procedure for keeping this
information.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Michael

Michael Sutherland
Web Services Librarian
Montana State University Libraries