[Web4lib] Conference Suggestions?

Binkley, Peter Peter.Binkley at ualberta.ca
Mon Feb 25 16:02:06 EST 2008

Access never fails to stimulate: http://access2008.mcmaster.ca/ . (Last
year's program is here: http://access2007.uvic.ca/?page_id=18).

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Gem Stone-Logan
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:08 AM
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: [Web4lib] Conference Suggestions?

I get to attend one major conference a year and am currently trying to
decide which one to apply for.  Anyone have suggestions of great
technology conferences they've been to?

I'm looking for a technology conference with an information focus but
not necessarily a library focus.  The kind of conference where I can
learn about new technologies and ideas and then consider how they could
be adapted for a library environment.

The themes of the Online Information conference in 2007 looked
interesting
(http://www.online-information.co.uk/online07/conferencethemes.html)
but I don't know if it's worth traveling across the pond for in 2008 or
not :)

In previous years, I've gone to CODI (the Horizon user conference).
However, with Horizon no longer under development and our future plans
for an ILS unclear, a vendor specific conference doesn't seem to make
sense.  Last year I went to ALA mainly to scout for a new ILS but other
than Evergreen, which current isn't quite ready for us (or we aren't
ready for it?), nothing looked particularly interesting.  Also,  I
didn't feel like I learned much new there.  Everything tech oriented
seemed to have been covered for at least the past 6 months in all the
online blogs.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Gem Stone-Logan
Weld Library District