[Web4lib] new scholarly content in (vanilla) Google?

Brian Harrington bharrington at muse.jhu.edu
Mon Feb 25 12:22:28 EST 2008

>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Rudy Leon <rudy.leon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone any solid information about this? Have Google's rules
> changed? What else is now being crawled by regular google spiders?
> Will scholar be eliminated? Bueller?

Google has been crawling both JSTOR and Project MUSE for a couple of years
now, and, as far as I know, our articles have always shown up in the
regular Google interface.  (In fact, I have often gotten better results
looking for humanities material in vanilla Google than Scholar, which seems
to have an STM bias as a side-effect of its ranking algorithm).

I'm pretty sure that Scholar's here to stay.

             -- Brian

--
Brian Harrington
Project MUSE