[Web4lib] UPDATE: OLPC computer, Gecko browser and popups

Robert Sullivan robert.g.sullivan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:19:50 EST 2008

>  Mary - I checked with a co-worker who is involved in the OLPC project
> and here's his input:
>
> "The Gecko browser engine may well have popup blocking, but also the
> window manager, Sugar, doesn't
>  allow multiple overlapping windows.  You have to go back to the main
> window to select a sub-window
>  that would normally be rendered as overlapping windows.    A conscious
> choice on the part of the
>  OLPC developers."

Perhaps it's a resource issue?  Having been called to fix a number of
computers which "didn't work" but simply had collapsed under the
stress of 15-20 browser windows, I can imagine they wanted to avoid
that situation in places with little tech support.

--
Bob Sullivan
Schenectady Digital History Archive