[Web4lib] Researching with Wikipedia

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 11:16:07 EST 2008

  I recently posted a note about an article about Wikipedia where the author stated: "It is irresponsible for educational institutions not to teach new knowledge technologies such as Wikipedia."

  I've seen a lot of cases where people summarily dismiss any use of Wikipedia. Interestingly, Wikipedia itself offers a caveat for using Wikipedia for research projects:

  "As with any source, especially one of unknown authorship, you should be wary and independently verify the accuracy of Wikipedia information if possible. For many purposes, but particularly in academia, Wikipedia may not be considered an acceptable source; indeed, some professors and teachers may throw Wikipedia-sourced material away out of hand. This is especially true when it is used uncorroborated. We advise special caution when using Wikipedia as a source for research projects. However, we are also confident that Wikipedia provides good overviews of most topics that it covers"

  Wikipedians seem to have given this issue some thought. Before dismissing Wikipedia as worthless, academics might be interested in the following Wikipedia articles. They may not change anyone's mind, but the criticism of Wikipedia may be more well-informed.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Researching_with_Wikipedia
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wikipedia

  Bernie Sloan