[Web4lib] Library link list collections Digest, Vol 45, Issue 4

S.W. Smith s.w.smith at lib.keele.ac.uk
Fri Dec 5 05:03:42 EST 2008

Hi Cecily,

We are currently experimenting with transferring the links list across
to a wiki format (http://sashalibrary.nhs.uk/index.php/Resources).  Note
this site currently needs to be viewed in Explorer & this versions
hasn't yet had the page activated for general user editing.

It is hoped eventually that we can allow users to add links (via
moderation) and amend any out of date ones.
As a preference I keep a relatively low number of links  for easy
navigation, but it occasionally does become expanded when we receive
specific requests from lecturing staff or hospital departments.

The main downside that I have come across is that the wiki format
doesn't work to well with link checking software (e.g. xenu) as it
retains multiple versions of any single page.  I tend to manually check
and update links on a manual basis at least once a year.

Kind regards

Susan Smith
E-Resources Librarian
Health Library
University Hospital of North Staffordshire NHS Trust