[Web4lib] Library link list collections

Alan Cockerill alan.cockerill at jcu.edu.au
Wed Dec 3 18:05:51 EST 2008

We maintain lists, but I'm not a fan.  I think if you want to offer subject
resource 'browsing' why not point your students at an Intute
(http://www.intute.ac.uk/) for example, and help the Intute people identify
sites. Why have thousands of libraries maintain lists of links to generic
subjects?

While the sites identified might be better (on average) than a site found
via Google users still want to search more than browse, so I've toyed with
the idea of using Google custom search to search the sites listed in a
specific subject guide.

I've been trialling it at
http://www.library.jcu.edu.au/subjectgds/Fac2/NetResources/accounting.shtml#
beta

One way of highlighting 'cons' of maintaining lists of links to your link
list owners is to get serious about maintaining them. So get a link checker
and send the reports to the respective maintainers regularly (monthly or
quarterly) - and - send them the usage statistics (minus crawler activity)
regularly.  Then they have the evidence they need to make their own
decisions about ROI.

I blogged about it early in the year
http://jculibrarytechnology.blogspot.com/2008/02/new-approach-to-web-resourc
e-discovery.html if you're really bored.

Cheers, Alan.

Alan Cockerill
Library Technologies Coordinator
James Cook University, Cairns