[Web4lib] Library link list collections

Jennifer Heise jenne.heise at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 16:23:33 EST 2008

We do have such a list, and we catalog web pages as well, at the
request of reference librarians and collection developers. We maintain
our list(s) through Delicious. Basically, these are (relatively) short
lists of reference sites we want to be able to refer patrons to
easily.  (see http://delicious.com/DrewULib/RecommendedSites for our
lists)

I check the links on our subject pages about once a semester and
either update broken links or report missing sites to the collection
development librarian for that area. Once a semester, the head
cataloger goes through the list of RecommendedSites and makes sure
they are cataloged.

We also have lots of government documents online cataloged in our
library catalog, and I admit that there's no link-checking there; if
the link is broken, we won't know until we try to use it.