[Web4lib] Library link list collections

Marcie Pierson Mpierson at cwmars.org
Wed Dec 3 16:04:56 EST 2008

Personally, I think our time (and that of our patrons) is better spent teaching users how to find and evaluate information. This includes using not only Google or other search engines of choice but also what resources the library has - meaning using the catalog to find books and the online databases for magazine/journal/newspaper articles and any other electronic resources available.

I used to work for a system that offered lists of links, but maintenance was a problem. The lists were not used and staff time was better spent on other projects, although I think they still have the links. The library I am at currently does not have lists. My director would like them, but I'm trying to discourage that and encourage him to let us explore various methods of research assistance instead.

For the library that has 5800 links, that sounds overwhelming. Even if you tag everything well, who wants to look through scores, hundreds, thousands of links on a topic? Even when I did maintain a list, I always felt that I could never know I had picked "the official" or "the definitive" sites - yes, you can be certain that bookmarking IRS.gov would be "the" place to go for federal tax info, but for general subjects, who's to say which American history site is "the best", or which homework help site is "the best"? I'd rather guide patrons through their own searches than simply offer them static lists of links.

Marcie Pierson
Reference Librarian
Grafton Public Library
35 Grafton Common