[Web4lib] RE: Access to email at Public Libraries

Pruntel,Alison Alison.Pruntel at fauquiercounty.gov
Wed Dec 3 13:25:28 EST 2008

Charles,

We use 8e6.com's R3000 Enterprise Edition, using various rules for various LDAP accounts. Our global rules block public access computers from adult content/pornography. We don't filter staff workstations. Using the LDAP setup, we then have specific settings depending on location of the PCs (workstations in the children's areas are logged in with a child-designated account, thus filtering covers more areas than those in the adult section, etc.). We do not block e-mail access on any of our public access PCs used for surfing the Internet and MS Office applications. We DO block e-mail access (along with social networking sites - both are categories for the 8e6 appliance) on PCs we've designated for accessing our subscription databases and online legal resources. Our OPACs, of course, block everything but the online catalog.

Alison Pruntel
Electronic Resources Librarian
Fauquier County Public Library
11 Winchester Street