[Web4lib] web forms

Robin Hastings robin.hastings at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 10:23:33 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Kerry Sullivan <kerryasullivan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have little to no control over our web presence anymore, but we recently
> experienced a massive spamming of all of our online forms for the entire
> organization.  We received thousands of emails overnight from multiple
> forms.  We have since disabled our forms and our web programmer is working
> on creating the forms in Flash.  He is extremely backed up and has not made
> much progress and in the meantime our users do without.
>
> I have noticed that there are a number of libraries' websites that have
> these forms.  How do they have them hanging out there and not get spammed
> like we did?  What are we doing wrong?  I welcome any suggestions or shared
> frustration from a similar experience.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Kerry

Do you all have a web programming language (like PHP or ASP)
installed? If you have PHP, I have a nifty little script that
processes the form and checks it for spam. We still get some spam, but
we don't get any of the big storms you write about and nobody uses our
forms for mail relay stations, either. Let me know, and I'll get you
the code - it's pretty short and sweet!

--
Robin Hastings
robin.hastings at gmail.com