Subject: Re: [Web4lib] Text Messaging through existing email

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Mon Apr 14 09:49:50 EDT 2008

Thanks for this valueble information.  I've just tested this by forwarding
your email to others and my verizon phone.  The forwarded message did not get
delivered to my phone but the text I typed in above the forwarded message did
get sent.  I just had my WEB server hard drive fill up yesterday and I
planned to create a script to run under a cron job that would create a google
calendar event with how much space is left on my drive beginning at a
specific size and have it sms me but this is a much better solution and less
coding.  The script will now run df -h parse it and then sms me via email.

Thanks,

Thomas

On Saturday 12 April 2008 19:31, Robert Malesko wrote:
> Brian it looks like you received an answer that spoke to instant messaging
> (IM) instead of text messaging (the SMS protocol.) I wanted to clear this
> up because it's a great tool, and no additional software is required.
>
> You can send a text message to a cell phone using email, period. It is
> simply a matter of getting someone's cell phone number, and formatting the
> "To:" address properly. The format depends on their cell phone carrier;
> here's the format for the six most common US cell carriers:
>
> T-Mobile:phonenumber at tmomail.net
> Virgin Mobile:phonenumber at vmobl.com
> Cingular:phonenumber at cingularme.com
> Sprint:phonenumber at messaging.sprintpcs.com
> Verizon: phonenumber at vtext.com
> Nextel: phonenumber at messaging.nextel.com
>
> where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number
>
> (above copied from
> http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/939/sms_email_cingular_nextel_sprint_tmobile
>_verizon_virgin)
>
> The only obstacle I've run into is that text messages have a relatively
> small character limit of 160 characters, and the message sent includes
> whatever is in the subject line, so be concise. It's easy enough to test on
> your own cell phone.
>
> On Apr 11, 2008, at 8:07 AM, Brian Lind wrote:
> > Does anyone do reference text messaging through your existing email
> > system?  We're looking to add it to our services and I was wondering
> > what kind of software and/or service you're using.  We're currently
> > using Novell GroupWise 6.5 for our email.  Any recommendations/horror
> > stories?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Brian J. Lind
> > Reference Librarian
> > Rochester Public Library
> > 101 Second St. SE
> > Rochester, MN 55904

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library			Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

"... using OpenOffice.org, and save them back to disk automatically,
in MS Word format.  They surf the Web, check e-mail, do instant
messsaging, view YouTube videos, visit their Facebook pages, learn
touch-typing skills and lots more.  Our public library has been
offering these Linux public stations for the past three years."
 - Phil Shapiro Linux Journal January 2008

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/