Subject: Re: [Web4lib] Text Messaging through existing email

Robert Malesko maleskonk at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 19:31:45 EDT 2008

Brian it looks like you received an answer that spoke to instant messaging (IM) instead of text messaging (the SMS protocol.) I wanted to clear this up because it's a great tool, and no additional software is required.

You can send a text message to a cell phone using email, period. It is simply a matter of getting someone's cell phone number, and formatting the "To:" address properly. The format depends on their cell phone carrier; here's the format for the six most common US cell carriers:

T-Mobile:phonenumber at tmomail.net
Virgin Mobile:phonenumber at vmobl.com
Cingular:phonenumber at cingularme.com
Sprint:phonenumber at messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon: phonenumber at vtext.com
Nextel: phonenumber at messaging.nextel.com

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number

(above copied from http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/939/sms_email_cingular_nextel_sprint_tmobile_verizon_virgin)

The only obstacle I've run into is that text messages have a relatively small character limit of 160 characters, and the message sent includes whatever is in the subject line, so be concise. It's easy enough to test on your own cell phone.