[Web4lib] phpBB Alternative

Anthony Fitzwater AFitzwater at AJCity.Net
Thu Apr 10 15:30:36 EDT 2008

For one of my websites, I have been using PunBB (www.punbb.org) for a
couple of years now.  It's a free, open source forum.  The reason why I
like it so much is it's very light on resources and it's more or less
just a basic forum.  There is a community available if you need
modifications done to it.  I used to use vBulletin, and while it's worth
it's price, sometimes I don't want all those unnecessary features
bogging it down.

HTH,

Anthony Fitzwater
Systems Administrator
Apache Junction Public Library
1177 N. Idaho Rd.
Apache Junction, AZ 85219
(480) 474-8577

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Cloutman, David
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:18 PM
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: [Web4lib] phpBB Alternative

Hi Everyone,

I have a need to set up a forum for my Library's summer reading. We are
hosting it internally on our Library's application server. I have
installed phpBB, which seems to be the most popular tool for this. My
problem is that I don't think phpBB is all that great. The more I use
it, the more I hate it. I find the interface confusing, and I think our
users may have problems with it as well. I'm particularly concerned
about the Librarians who will have to moderate the posts. I don't want
to have to do a formal training session on what really needs to be a
quick and dirty solution.

I am looking for a forum tool that:

1. Runs on PHP / MySQL OR JSP / MySQL / Tomcat and is easy to install.
2. Has a really simple interface.
3. Has a obvious mechanism for changing the branding of the masthead.
4. Has enough granularity in the security sytem to allow for registered
users / moderators / administrators.
5. Permits the administrator to require approval of posts.
6. Has a really simple interface. (Yes, I said that twice.)

Any recommendations or library success stories would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

- David

---