[Web4lib] RSS calendar/events feeds for library programming

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Sep 14 12:11:27 EDT 2007

Along those lines, I added RSS feeds for our Township web site using a template. I update those manually when needed. Since these feeds announce posting of agendas, minutes, press releases, etc. they don't have to be updated regularly. I wouldn't recommend this method for something that needs to be updated often. But it was an acceptable way to get started and should do until we move to a CMS solution that automatically generates RSS feeds based on existing content.

I had problems finding a good RSS solution that fit our particular server setup at the Township and I didn't want to use a third-party site to support them. I started with a stand-alone program called RSS Editor but moved over to the RSS Editor add-on for Firefox.

It lets you create and edit RSS files and it's a quick and easy way to add some RSS feeds to your site.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI