[Web4lib] CMS (Content Management System)

NORMA JEAN HEWLETT hewlett at usfca.edu
Tue Oct 30 22:05:21 EDT 2007

>The only problem is that most
> (all?) of the library staff other than myself seem intimidated by
> anything web-related.  Thus, I still end up posting most of the
> content.This may only demonstrate the need for more staff training.

If you are able to do more staff training on this, here are some
excellent tips from an expert. He's talking about how to train faculty
to teach online, but most of his recommendations could be applied to
your situation as well.
Jean Hewlett
University of San Francisco

Online Training for Online Faculty
A checklist of the best strategies for designing and delivering online
courses to train online faculty.
8/8/2007 By Ron Thomas
1. Train faculty on the same platform their students will use. Not
only does this increase the faculty's familiarity with the system; it
gives them an immersion from the student perspective. During the
training, continually reinforce the faculty members' observations of
phenomena they experience as analogous to what their students will see.

2. Provide multiple safety nets for faculty during and after their
training. Because faculty will have varying levels of computer
ability, collections of tip sheets and job aids are beneficial for
reference during the training and afterwards. Vendor manuals can be
obtuse and intimidating for neophyte users but locally produced
material can be much more to the point.

3. Provide multiple ways of learning for multiple learning styles.
Faculty going through training to teach online will come from a
variety of academic disciplines and will have predilections in their
thought processes reflective of their fields. So, have training
modules produced as full text descriptions, narrated animations, step-
by-step graphics, and quick checklists so that learners can use
whichever one resonates with them.

4. Stretch the faculty members' skills and challenge their
preconceptions. For example, some faculty may believe that small group
work can't be done online. Therefore, require an online small group
activity during the training. Not only will this force them to
confront the possibility that they were wrong but it can help them
come up with ides on how to transfer that idea to their own teaching.

5. Be a role model of desired teaching behaviors for online faculty
(but even more so). Every thing you do as a faculty trainer is an
example of what you want your faculty to do themselves, and they will
take note of what you do and how you do it. If you are not providing
timely and robust feedback or stimulating the flow on the discussion
board, they will not think those are important.

6. Your organization skills will be tested as an online faculty
trainer. Most likely, teaching an online faculty development class
will only be one of your duties. Set aside time every day to check
your boards, answer e-mail from trainees, and solve their technical
problems. Again, you will be role-modeling the self-discipline and
time management abilities that you want new online faculty to have.

7. Remain open to feedback from your faculty trainees. Even if they
are new to online instruction, your faculty trainees will still have
good ideas based on their own experience. Don't be resistant to their
suggestions on how to make the online training course better. This is
also a trait you want to demonstrate so they can make that part of
their own online teaching style.

8. Online instructor trainees must get practice with their writing
skills. A great deal of communication in an online course happens via
the written word (e-mail, discussion boards, chat, announcements, and
online text readings). Be sure to include several small writing
activities such as mandatory discussion or short reflective essays so
your faculty trainees can keep their composition skills sharp.
Encourage their writing to be tight, precise, and clear.

9. Be their instructor, not their colleague. For your faculty training
course to be effective, especially if you are teaching it online
instead of face-to-face, the faculty trainees must respect the fact
that you are a "real" instructor teaching a "real" course. Posting and
enforcing deadlines for activities and even giving an occasional 90
instead of 100 on an activity, shows you mean business. You'll get
better compliance and better effort if they take you seriously.

10. Respect the faculty members' previous teaching experience. Whether
your trainees were mandated to take your course or self-selected, they
are still college faculty. Your challenge is to elicit the best things
they already know about good teaching and show how they can still use
that knowledge in the online environment.

Ron Thomas is the director of the Center for Teaching and Learning
Excellence at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University worldwide
headquarters in Daytona Beach, Florida. Among his responsibilities is
the design and delivery of online training classes to serve more than
3,000 full- and part-time faculty in over 100 locations across the
U.S. and overseas, including fully online degree programs.
Cite this Site
Ron Thomas, "Online Training for Online Faculty," Campus Technology,
8/8/2007, http://www.campustechnology.com/article.aspx?aid=49570