[Web4lib] Lightbox?

Keith Gilbertson keith.gilbertson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 17:05:27 EDT 2007

 Randy,

We're experimenting with the technique at OhioLINK.  One of our current
projects is the Digital Resource Commons, a digital repository for
educational and research materials contributed by academic institutions in
Ohio.

We're still working on the interface before official launch, but for a
lightbox example with resources from Wright State University Libraries, you
can go to http://drc.libraries.wright.edu/handle/2374.WSU/150 .  If you
click on the thumbnail of the ms152_144.jpg file, a lightbox will appear
with the larger version of the image.  If you have a slow connection the
image may take a while to download. We will likely resolve this problem by
having the lightbox display a version of the file with an intermediate
resolution.

This particular demonstration is using Lightbox+ (
http://serennz.sakura.ne.jp/toybox/lightbox/), because it automatically will
resize large images to fit in the user's browser window, and will then allow
the user to "zoom" in by clicking the icon in the upper left corner of the
image.  We've also experimented with Lightbox 2(eye candy and slideshows),
Thickbox(fast, also sizes to fit in browser window), and the original
Lightbox script.

Many of our collections will be image collections, so I'm interested in any
useful techniques that you find for displaying collections of images or
single images.

Thanks,
Keith Gilbertson
Systems Developer