[Web4lib] Interesting Chicago Tribune column on e-book acceptance

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 20:31:51 EDT 2007

  Steve Johnson, Chicago Tribune "Internet critic", writes today about his surprisingly positive experience using his Blackberry as an e-book reader. I say "surprisingly positive" because Steve Johnson was surprised, e.g,  "Like most English majors...I had scoffed at the idea of a novel translating to digital format."

  An excerpt:

  "I just read 'Pride and Prejudice' on my BlackBerry. And, reader, I liked it. Against all my own prejudices, all my own pride in the history and tradition of the printed word, I liked it...The experience taught me that a book is not what I had thought it to be. It is not, in any important sense, typeface, paper stock or cover art. A book is, foremost, the arrangement of words in sequence, and they are, to borrow a buzz-phrase from the digital folk, platform agnostic."

  Full text at:

  http://tinyurl.com/2v3ef8

  Bernie Sloan