[Web4lib] RE: Starting an IM Reference service

Petter Næss pnaess at usa.no
Mon Oct 22 09:08:46 EDT 2007

We've been using a freeware program called Rakim for about 4 years. It was
developed my Miami Univesity Ohio librarian Rob Casson, and although he has
moved on to other things and is no longer - I believe - supporting the
program, it still works fairly well for us. We use it to answer quick
reference questions and to direct patrons to specific pages on our website
or elsewhere on the internet. Since 80% of the questions we get concern
visas or immigration to the U.S., most of our responses are simply a
referral to the appropriate POC in the consular section, or a preconfigured
answer to a frequently asked question. (e.g. question: "An IRS officer
neglected to remove the departure tag from my passport when I left the U.S.
Do I need to do something about this? preconfigured answer: "For guidance,
please see the information about departure tags at
http://www.usa.no/embassy/consular/visa/returning.html")

Rakim's features include:  preconfigured answers, selectable from a dropdown
menu; preconfigured bookmarks; simultaneous logon for multiple librarians;
logged on librarians can chat "behind the scenes" and pass patrons between
them; patrons can request email transcripts of chat sessions.

The software is designed for answering questions, not for aimless web2.0
chatter, and as such has more in common with customer service software such
as LivePerson than with typical IRM clients. It runs on our webserver, but
does not require any downloads or special user-compatibility on the patron
side. There are some glitches with pop-up blockers, and with the audio alert
(doesn't work in Firefox and Opera, but can be can be tweaked). Some
libraries that use (or have used) the system are listed at
http://www.our-mission-possible.com/Reference%20Links.htm

I would be very interested in hearing about newer systems that provide some
of the features mentioned above, in particualr the feature that allows
creation of preconfigured answers to frequently asked questions. thanks,
Petter Naess

Petter Næss
U.S.Embassy, Public Affairs
Henrik Ibsens gate 48