[Web4lib] RE: Starting an IM Reference service

Jason Snyder jcsnyder at bucknell.edu
Thu Oct 18 12:33:32 EDT 2007

Hi,

At Bucknell, we implemented an AIM question and answer service two years
ago.  Bucknell has a merged technology and library organization, and our AIM
service, ISRBuddy, acts as a online front end for the organization.  Users
may ask technology or library questions.  We find that we get about 80%
technology questions.

The service is staffed by whoever's working the reference desk (librarians,
tech support folks and grad students -- we have people from throughout the
organization working the reference desk), and is open whenever the library
is (7am - 2am on weekdays).  Yes, we have librarians answering technology
questions!  We have an extensive technology knowledgebase, and staffers are
encouraged to send users links to answers in the knowledgebase that will
answer their questions.  If they can't answer the question, it's forwarded
to our technology help desk's AIM account.  Then a student from the tech
desk will take the question and IM the user.

We've found that it works really well, and that students enjoy and use it
frequently (as do some tech savvy university staff).  Several librarians
came to me and remarked that they've learned a lot about computing support,
as well as our IP television system!

Good luck!

Thanks,
Jason Snyder
Integrated Online Services Consultant/Librarian
Information Services and Resources (ISR)
Bucknell University
Lewisburg, PA 17837
570.577.3231
AIM: jcsnyder95