[Web4lib] web hosting service/separate domain name

D.H. Mattison dmattison at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 18 10:55:56 EDT 2007

I'm currently using a British Columbia Web hosting provider called Bluefur.
I don't think the similarity in names to Bluehost is any coincidence. I had
used Bluehost but their servers choked on some of my PHP applications, well,
really, just the two, WordPress and Tiki. I also used a company called
Netfirms. Same issue. So far I've had no downtown issues with Bluefur and no
real need to use their support desk.

Many of these shared Web hosting providers don't actually require you to
register a domain with them. I think what you have to check for are any
extra fees that would be associated with transferring a domain name into and
out of their service and whether they support multiple domain name hosting
from the same account, among other issues. Also look carefully at their
moneyback guarantee and whether you're in a contract for pay-as-you-go
service. The longer you sign up for on these shared plans the less you pay,
but then you may find yourself locked in and if something goes terribly
wrong after the moneyback guarantee period expires -- anywhere from one to
three months -- you may be stuck with the service and have to absorb your
loss and move on.

David Mattison
Victoria, BC
Ten Thousand Year Blog: http://www.davidmattison.ca/wordpress