[Web4lib] An Analysis Of Open Source ILS Market Penetration

Marshall Breeding marshall.breeding at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Oct 16 15:00:25 EDT 2007

Since this has come up, I'll mention that one can view the ILS
market share for US Public libraries fairly easily through
lib-web-cats.  Currently this information is based on simple
counts, one by library organization, and secondly a count that
includes branches.   As you will see, one of the problems is that
there
are significant percentages for "Unknown" as the ILS.  I believe
that a large percentage of the ones for which I have no data have
no automation system.

The following page:
<http://www.librarytechnology.org/us-marketshare-reports.pl>

Allows one to see the ILS distribution for all the US, or to select
each state.

Interested in Academic libraries? try:
<http://www.librarytechnology.org/us-marketshare-reports.pl?Type=Academic>

All this data is derived from lib-web-cats:
  <http://www.librarytechnology.org/libwebcats>

I'm in the process of overlaying data related to population served,
collection counts, and annual circulation stats from the NCES data
sets to make more sophisticated reports possible as well.

As far as I know, lib-web-cats is the most comprehensive source for
data on ILS deployments.  I'd urge list members to verify that I
have the correct information about their library so that I can
reduce the troublesome "unknown" category and improve the accuracy
of the rest.

Finally, I'm still gathering data for the automation survey that I
have mentioned previously on this list.  I have about 1,000
if possible.  This survey attempts to measure both satisfaction
with the library's current ILS as well as their openness to open
source alternatives.  An introduction to the survey is here:
 <http://www.librarytechnology.org/lwc-survey-2007.pl>

-marshall

--On Tuesday, October 16, 2007 9:19 AM -0500 Bob Molyneux