[Web4lib] An Analysis Of Open Source ILS Market Penetration

Bob Molyneux drdata at molyneux.com
Tue Oct 16 14:36:36 EDT 2007

>Bob,
>
>My apologies if I came across as attempting to play "gotcha"... when you
>pointed out that association between the writers of the Evergreen posts
>and Equinox, I became curious.  I was looking for more information on your
>attitude towards open source in general, and was hoping for blog postings,
>listserv archives, etc.  I thought it significant that you had an
>association with SirsiDynix, and thought it added to the conversation.  I
>was not attempting to portray you as "evil vendor-scum", or to suggest
>that your information was invalid because of your association.

>That said, the information contained in your LISNews article is
>fascinating.  I would love to see that data further broken out, taking the
>"All U.S. Public Libraries" category and showing some of the major players
>and their particular statistics.  In addition, as has been mentioned in
>several places, a continuation of this data over the next few years would
>be very interesting to see.  The six-month updates you mention will be
>terrific, and I hope that you will let this list know as the updates
>become available.
I am thinking of a regular report. But, if I wanted to do all vendors or
even the major ones, it is a truly daunting project without some help. In
the US there are 9,207 public library systems (as of FY 2004) and 3,889
(also FY 2004) academic instutions reported in the Academic Library Survey.
Both series, it is rumored, are going to have new data out soon so the
counts will change. That will be FY 2005 for the public library data and FY
2006 for the academic data. As I mentioned, I have hopes for Canadian
comparisons.

Folks, that is a big number of things to keep track of and I can't do it
all by my lonesome. Open source I can do because the numbers are, ah, well,
one might say er... "barginally" small right now. If folks here would take
a look at those tables and tell me if I have missed something, then I would
make sure the next update would be more mature and useful.

>Thank you for putting the information together, and again, I am sorry that
>my posting has put you on the defensive... I, for one, look forward to all
>that you can contribute to our discussions in the future.
About the only thing that gets me defensive is the jealousy that people
express when they see my naturally curly hair. It is a cross I bear with my
characteristic stoicism.

Au contraire, mon ami, I was gently chiding you for using an ad hominem
argument. I confess I am sensitive to the use of that argumentative form in
the library world. So should we all, given that part of our solemn mission
is the preservation of a part of our civilization and given that the
argumentum ad hominem has been regarded as invalid since before the birth
of Christ. How can we preserve if we permit this transgression?

But, all's well that ends well.

The fact is, it does not matter what I think of open source nor if I still
worked for a proprietary vendor. What matters is the tables and my
analysis. Are they correct? They stand by themselves. One reasonably can
take knowledge of the world to help interpret something. Hmmm...this guy is
associated with X, maybe I better take another look. And, if you did, you
might ask some perfectly reasonable questions...such as, oh:
* Doesn't your method of counting a library as an open-source library
undercount Koha libraries? That is, if you use Marshall's criteria, the
numbers would be higher. Why did you do that?
* I checked your numbers and something doesn't add up.

See, that kind of conservation is what would be helpful and would advance
the analysis, not supposing I am up to no good. For heavens' sake, the
defensivness is in the posts reacting to Blake's link to my note on
LISnews. Is this the discussion one expects from a growing, self-confident
movement?

I have a question for you folks: If people in this community wanted to
measure the impact of open-source ILSs, would they have used these
variables? If not, why not? Which would be better? Why?

Now, if you had known of my longstanding interest in library data analysis
and my publication record, you might have been less suspicious. And just a
bit more work would have found it.

Here is your penance: when we meet, you buy me the first beer. I will take
care of the second.

Bob Molyneux
drdata at molyneux.com
XyWrite forever!
0x 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0