[Web4lib] Software recommendation.

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Mon Oct 8 12:28:33 EDT 2007

Zope or, Zope and Plone might be suitable.  There is a variety of Products
easily installed into the base.  Products that are relative to your inquiry
are
Zope:
 Coreblog and ZRTChat

Plone (plone 2 not 3):
 Coreblog2 (includes RSS feeds) and PloneChat

You might want to look at google chat also.

There are many more Products you might find of use at http://zope.org or
http://plone.org .

We us Coreblog as our news page and run the Product ClockServer to update the
RDFSummary and RDFGrabber products to display the 3 most recently added news
items to Coreblog on our home page, http://www.library.appstate.edu/ .  The
news page is at http://www.library.appstate.edu/blog/news .  Coreblog
automatically updates the Recent Entries list,  the number of items in the
Categories list, an Archives list, and hot links on the Calendar display.
The only change I made to the source of Coreblog was to sort categories
newest to oldest instead of the default oldest to newest, an easy and quick
edit.

All of these are simple to set up and I would be available for questions if
you decide on these items.  I would suggest running apache in front of Zope
and use redirects, this provides the best security.

On Friday 05 October 2007 17:05, Jorge Biquez wrote:
> Hello.
>
> In one school with low resources we are planning to implement a
> weekly newspaper/magazine on the web. The idea is that people from
> the community can write their articles and upload them with pictures,
> have a blog and chat would be nice also.
>
> Any recommendation on what software to use that is not to expensive?
> (we can have it running under windows or Linux or Freebsd)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jorge Biquez

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  As videos could be 25 pictures
per second and might last several minutes, how many words is that?
- Linux Journal, July 2007

Library Systems Help Desk: http://www.library.appstate.edu/help/