[Web4lib] Downloadable audiobooks - Windows Media Player for theMacintosh?

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 21:41:34 EDT 2007

Hi Michele,

Leopard (10.5) is the newer version of OS X due out this month.
While I don't have a copy of it yet, I am pretty sure that the files
will not play on the newer OS, the same with the current OS (10.4 -
Tiger)

Apple users have to rely on a third party ("Flip4Mac") to provide
Windows Media support, as Microsoft has stopped making and supporting
new versions of Windows Media Player for the Mac.  This, of course,
means that Apple users do not have access to Microsoft's proprietary
DRM formats for playback on their operating system of choice.

The iPod currently has no way of playing Windows Media files of any
shape or size.

The new advances in running Windows on a Mac are not much help here
either.  There are basically three choices:

1.) Install Windows through "Boot Camp": This sets up a separate
partition of your hard-drive that contains Windows.  To use this,
users need to reboot their machine into Windows (which means you
can't do any of your 'normal' work if OS X is your chosen operating
system.)  It requires a full license of XP or Vista, though, so you
will need to pay for this privilege.

2.) Install Windows through a virtualization technology such as
VMWare and Parallels.  This allows you to 'boot' Windows in a window
on your Mac while running OS X.  This is a more elegant solution than
Boot Camp, but it also requires a legitimate license of XP or Vista,
plus a copy of the virtualization software (~$50-70), and a lot of
RAM to run it without affecting your system's performance.  Microsoft
has also forbidden any installation of it's "lower-class" Vista
versions to run in a virtualized environment, so you will need to pay
for the business editions and not the home editions if you want to
stay legit.

3.) Use a technology such as WINE to try and run media player.  This
is the least favourable solution, and will probably still not work.
WINE works by 'reverse-engineering' Windows to try and come up with
something that will act like Windows, without requiring a Windows
license.  As you can probably imagine, Microsoft does not support
this work, so most of the work that's been done is based on
intelligent guesses (and very good ones, I might add, but still not
perfect).  Where I am unclear is whether this will allow you to
install the latest versions of Windows Media Player and have it work
with DRM'ed files.  I would be pleasantly surprised if it did, but
I'm not getting my hopes up.   In any case, it's not yet a viable
solution for 'mom and pop' computer users.

I don't see these options changing much as the Mac users shift to
Leopard.

Cheers,
Andrew