[Web4lib] blogging software - - subscribing users by just adding their email address?

Eric Loehr eloehr at email.smith.edu
Mon Nov 26 18:49:53 EST 2007

Hello all,

We're considering setting up a blog for staff discussion of library issues;  we'd like the blog to be private - - open only to libraries staff - - and we'd like to be able to just automatically subscribe our staff as users (to give them permission to post and comment on other posts) by adding their email address, and not making them create an account first.

I've created blogs on Wordpress.com and Blogger, but for those you have to invite users, who have to have a Wordpress or Google account to be able to join.  Are there other hosted blog services (preferably free) that might allow us to set up a blog as described?  Or, is there any blogging software that could be installed on our own server that would allow us to accomplish the above?

My guess is that it's not possible to both have a restricted access blog and at the same time have users not part of an existing user database, but there's new stuff out there all the time and you never know...

thanks for any insight you can provide.

Eric

Eric Loehr
Library Systems Manager