[Web4lib] Kindle

Jesse Ephraim JEphraim at ci.southlake.tx.us
Mon Nov 26 15:35:29 EST 2007

>disturbing qualities of Kindle have to do with how
>it hoses fair use, narrows the world of books and
>reading to an Amazon-approved collection, and
>finds ways to charge you for your own content
>(and conditions you to pay for blogs).

When I looked at the specs on the Kindle, I actually laughed out loud.
In addition to the above points:

1) You can't load your own documents without sending them through
Amazon, which is a real privacy issue.
2) The download price for new bestsellers is much too high, as well
($9.99 or so, I believe).  When you take out the cost of shipping,
printing, etc., it should be at least half that, especially since it has
no resale value.
3) The price of the device itself ($400) is ridiculous - I wouldn't pay
more than $100 for that type of device, at the maximum.
4) It can't handle PDFs very well.

I am glad that the era of electronic paper readers has arrived.  I have
said for years that the only way these types of readers will take off is
when they start using e-paper.

Jesse Ephraim

Youth Services Librarian
Southlake Public Library