[Web4lib] RE:Kindle

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Nov 26 17:08:54 EST 2007

Hello Kathryn,

Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 8:03:01 AM, you wrote:

>  Can you read an ebook in the bathtub?  What happens if you get it wet?
> (coffee, juice, etc).   That's not as frivolous as question as it seems.  I
> wonder what sort of guarantee and service plan they are offering.

Good point.  I have an 80gb iPod and an iPod Shuffle.  In September I
ran the Maui Half Marathon with my Shuffle clipped to my waist band.
It was so muggy and I sweat (or perspire, or glow, whatever) so much
that within the first two miles I was completely soaked from head to
toe.  About mile 12 of 13.1, it quit working.  I thought the battery
died, though should last longer than that.  Later learned that it
would simply not hold a charge at all.  Gee, do you think being soaked
in salt water might have something to do with that?

Anyway, called Apple support, went through their standard tests, and
they said "well, we'll have to send you another one, and there will be
an RMA to return the old one".  So I said "FINE!"   Admittedly I
didn't volunteer how and when it died, but if he'd asked if it had
been soaked I would have honestly said yes, and been looking to buy
another one.

That is good service.  I also wonder what would happen with a kindle
(and, where the heck did it get that name and why)

--
Best regards,
 Dan                            mailto:dan at riverofdata.com