[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

tomkeays at gmail.com tomkeays at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:25:12 EST 2007

MPOW is exploring the idea of buying Kindles as a way to deliver
e-book content to patrons. So, we were interested to see if the
academic holdings were of sufficient number to make it worthwhile. Yes
and no. Yes: commercial publishers like Springer, Elsevier, Wiley,
Taylor and Francis, even Oxford UP. No: society presses (that I
found). No: e-journals (nor any way to buy individual articles).

So, factoring in all that's already been said about the proprietary
nature of this product... probably not. Maybe, with Kindle 2.0 (or
more properly speaking, when there's a way to buy a Kindle book
without the Kindle).

Also, Amazon was making a PR splash that most of their content went
for $9.99, but this obviously is not the case for textbooks. For
example, spotchecking a random science book, "Chemistry of Pheromones
and Other Semiochemicals II" (part of the Topics in Current Chemistry
series) is available as a Kindle book for $199.20 vs the $249.00 that
the hardcover goes for (or the $2.85 + ssh I could get it for used!).

Plus, no EVDO network in my town yet. I doubt I'll be planning trips
to Rochester so I can download the new Tom Clancy.