[Web4lib] Q: Where do you find server settings in unix sendmail?

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Thu Nov 8 11:15:02 EST 2007

Depending on the flavor of linux you are running, you might be able to:

service --status-all (tells you what's running)
look for sendmail in the list. If it is running, fine. If not:
service sendmail start
Set your program or script to use localhost for sending mail.

Warning: if you do this, make sure that some sort of firewall is
protecting the server against relaying outside email. The simplest
way to do this is to deny all traffic on port 25. You can do this
using iptables and/or selinux.

If smtp wasn't running, you will want to set it to start at runlevels
2, 3, 4 & 5. Different linux flavors have different commands for
doing this. In Redhat/CentOS it is chkconfig:

chkconfig sendmail --add
chkconfig sendmail on --level 2,3,4,5

Thanks,

Cary