Re: [Web4lib] prove that library 2.0 isn´t useless

Brian Gray mindspiral at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 16:12:52 EST 2007

I do not know that we need to limit or measure the effects of web 2.0
as a correlation with an increase in "physical library traffic.

I think of how much web 2.0 targets those that are not, will never be,
or are only rarely physical users of the brick and mortar building.
Web 2.0 tools or techniques reach these users while improving the
experience of traditional library users.

I can also think of all the advantages it offers to the library staff.
For example, my campus has a discussion forum, blog system, and wiki
system that all faculty, staff, and students can use. We are able to
get statistics of the library portions of those environments to see
that they are being visited and/or utilized. More importantly to me
has been the "extra" transactions and/or competitive intelligence that
has occurred. I have answered reference questions in all all these
environments. I have participated in and/or read user comments about
the library and its services. I can see the hot topics of discussion
or research on campus.

Brian Gray
Head of Reference
Kelvin Smith Library