[Web4lib] The Art Museum Social Tagging Project

Walter McGinnis walter at katipo.co.nz
Fri May 25 16:52:16 EDT 2007

Hi Ranti,

Horowhenua Library Trust in Levin, New Zealand and Katipo
Communications has developed a piece of open source software called
Kete for more collaborative digital archiving for the Horowhenua
community.  It includes tagging any item in the archive among other
things.  You can find an example of items tagged "anzac day" here:

http://horowhenua.kete.net.nz/site/all/images/tagged/62/

Although a large portion of the content on the site is based on
importing existing historical collections' data, such as the Adopt an
Anzac Project (http://horowhenua.kete.net.nz/adopt_an_anzac/all/
topics/), anyone can register and get involved in the larger site.
HLT has used the site to get specific community groups excited and
involved around projects that relate to their interests.

You'll also notice that besides tagging, we allow for adding related
links between any topic and any other item.  This allows for another
way of collaboratively grouping items since any user can add a link.

We also provide for the community to regulate itself with a flagging
mechanism for any item.  Community members can mark a piece of
content as inaccurate, inappropriate, a duplicate, etc. and the item
in question will be rolled back to an uncontested version if one
exists and have a "review pending" message added.  A moderator is
emailed to take appropriate action.

Outside of HLT, several other organizations are now looking at using
Kete to bring their resources online to the communities they
represent.  Kete has a strong foundation based on Ruby on Rails, OAI
Dublin Core XML, and the Zebra search software.  Lots of exciting
plans in the works.

Cheers,
Walter McGinnis
Kete Lead Programmer