[Web4lib] New Job Title Pulled from Thin Air

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Thu May 17 10:17:38 EDT 2007

When I was studying library science, my social group was a mixture
of graduate students in Physics and Classics from an Ivy League
school. Physics used the Greek alphabet in their equations,
Classics studied Greek in order to have understanding of
their primary resources.  Both groups studied things normal
folks never did: quarks and Sanscrit - particle physics and
and dead languages.

Over many pints of Bass, we came to define the future scientists
as the nerds and the language experts as the geeks.  Since
my background allowed me to communicate with equal effect
and at times translate between the two groups, I feel qualified
to say that I had achieved the status of Nerd/Geek.

My forays into both camps cause me to give pause when I see
people skilled in computer sciences refer to themselves as geeks.
I think American culture has clearly set precedent for defining
them as nerds in such classics as "Revenge of the Nerds" and
the various Nerd sequels.  It seems to me that the time has
come for the OED to step in and settle on a clear definition.

Robert L. Balliot
1-401-421-5763
Skype: RBalliot
Bristol, Rhode Island